Annual Winter Trails Day Will Offer an Introduction to Adaptive Skiing at Rikert Nordic Center
Saturday, January 10, 2015 is the 20th annual Winter Trails Days offering children and adults new to winter sports an opportunity to try cross country skiing and/or snowshoeing free at a variety of sites. Many Vermont resorts participate in the program, but with the help of the Vermont Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, the celebrated day is expanded to accommodate every body. The Northeast Disabled Athletic Association and Rikert Nordic Center have acquired a collection of adaptive sit-skis paired with trained instructors to be available throughout the day.
Five sit-skis will be available along with instruction at Rikert Nordic Center in Ripton, Vermont from 11am – 1pm. Space and equipment is limited so reservations are preferred. Call NDAA at 802-862-NDAA (6322) or email Patrick Standen of the Northeast Disabled Athletic Association at email@example.com to reserve space.
Vermont has a long history of offering adaptive alpine skiing programs and they centers can be found all over the state. Learn more about them at skivermont.com.
Endorsed by Ski Vermont and the Governor’s Council, Winter Trails is an easy and fun way to get everyone outside for winter exercise. Vermont locations will offer Nordic skiing and snowshoeing free to any beginners on Saturday, January 10, 2015. The inventory of snowshoes, skis and lesson space is limited and details vary. Find participating ski areas and details at www.wintertrails.org.
Winter Trails Day sites in Vermont:
- Blueberry Lake - Warren, VT
- Bolton Valley Nordic Center - Bolton Valley, VT
- Craftsbury Outdoor Center – Craftsbury Common, VT
- Jay Peak Nordic and Snowshoe Center – Jay, VT
- Mountain Top Inn & Resort Nordic Ski & Snowshoe Center – Chittenden, VT
- Ole's Cross Country Ski Center – Waitsfield, VT
- Rikert Nordic Center – Ripton, VT
- Smugglers' Notch Resort Nordic Ski and Snowboard Center – Smugglers’ Notch, VT
- Strafford Nordic Center – Strafford, VT
- Woodstock Nordic Center – Woodstock, VT