January is NSAA Ski and Snowboard Safety Month
January is Ski and Snowboard Safety Awareness month.
Because safety is a top priority across the industry, Vermont ski areas participate in and host a number of safety related events throughout the month in addition to their year round commitments to ski and snowboard safety. For instance, Vermont legally requires skiers and riders to lower the restraint bar while riding the chairlift. There are designated "slow zones" at most ski areas, mainly at the base of lifts and where trails merge. These zones encourage people to look up and maintain awareness of others on the slopes.
Many resorts across the country participate in the National Ski Areas Association's (NSAA) Safety Awareness month initiatives. Vermont resorts, Killington/Pico, Smugglers' Notch, Stratton and Sugarbush, are participating in the NSAA Kids Safety Poster contest. Children will design posters that reflect one of the seven principles of "Your Responsibility Code." In conjunction with this contest, Vermont resorts will be hosting their own Safety initiatives through the month.
Buy a helmet, get a free lift ticket - Purchase a helmet from one of our Killington Sports locations between Friday, January 17 through Sunday, January 26, 2020 and receive a free lift ticket for use at Killington and Pico, valid starting January 27, 2020 through the end of the 2019-20 winter season.
NSAA Safety Poster Contest - Join us on weekend and peak days at Ramshead Base Lodge third floor info booth area to create your own safety poster and enter to win NSAA's Kids' Safety Poster Contest. Two first prize winners will be selected to receive $200 Killington retail gift certificates and two runners up will be selected to receive $100 Killington retail gift certificates. Open to all elementary age children.
Lids on Kids - Promoting safety awareness among our youngest skiers and snowboarders. We partner with High Fives Foundation to put on this event at Killington Elementary School. December 18, 2019.
Every weekend in January
- NSAA Poster Contest at Info Desk with prizes.
- Watch for Safety Bear visiting Junior Ski School and around the resort.
- Stratton Bear Safety Coloring Pages - Available at Info Desk and Junior Ski School.
- Ski Patrol Booth in Main Base Lodge - Come learn more about the Responsibility Code and Uphill Travel policy.
- Smith Helmet Raffle - January 18-20 from 8am - 12pm.
- Hands Only CPR and AED Instruction - All day in the Base Lodge.
- Seasonal Program, JISP, and Junior Ski School Safety Speeches.
- Safety Scavenger Hunt - Participants will track down and learn about various safety programs at the mountain. Ask at the Info Desk for clue sheet and win prizes!
- Lids on Kids NSAA posters displayed and material available at the Ticket Windows, Junior Ski School, and Info Desk.
- Helmet Sale at HeadCase, Stratton Sports and First Run, all located in the Stratton Village - Enjoy 20% off major brands.
- Hands Only CPR Training - Join us in the Homeowners Lounge at 1pm.
Warren, VT (December 29, 2019) – In accordance with the National Ski Area Association’s Safety Month, Sugarbush Resort has added special events focused on safety for the month of January.
Shrediquette - Both Saturday, January 18th and Saturday, January 25th from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM there will be Shrediquette with the Sugarbush Parks and Ski & Ride teams. They’ll be on hand to help teach guests how to navigate features in the terrain parks, as well as provide tips on how to improve form and style. All participants to these events receive 10% off the February Freestyle Camp, however space is limited.
Real Powder Hounds Known the Code - A scavenger hunt to fill out a card that lets guests visit various patrol shacks and terrain parks to collect stamps. When their card is full, they can claim a special t-shirt, along with a chance to win a $100 Sugarbush Gift Card.
For more information on these events, visit Sugarbush.com.
For more NSAA Safety Month events please visit individual resort websites.